Gluten-Free Zucchini Lasagna
This Gluten-Free Zucchini Lasagna uses lentils for a vegan Bolognese sauce that is out of this world! It’s a great way to get more veggies in your diet. To make, you’ll need a mandoline (unless you’ve got some serious knife skills).
For the lasagna:
- 3 large zucchini
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese or vegan mozzarella, grated (I used Violife)
- 1 recipe Vegan Alfredo Sauce (see below)
For the vegan Bolognese sauce:
- 6 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 22 ounces pure tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lemon , juiced
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1½ cups French lentils, cooked
- Using a mandoline, thinly slice zucchini lengthwise into ⅛-inch thick slices and set on paper towels. Place more paper towels on top and gently press out the water as best you can.
- Turn oven to broil and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay zucchini slices onto the baking sheet without crowding, and place in oven for 3 minutes. (You might have to do this in a few batches, so as not to overcrowd the tray.) Gently flip zucchini slices and bake the other side for another 2 minutes. (This will help to get more moisture out of the zucchini, which is necessary to prevent the lasagna from being watery.) Remove from oven and let cool slightly, then gently pat out any excess moisture with paper towels.
- To make the sauce, combine garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, lemon juice, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Pulse lentils in a blender or food processor and add to the saucepan. Cook sauce for 30 minutes, until thick and the liquid is reduced by almost half.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In an 8x11-inch casserole dish, spread a thin, even layer of Bolognese on the bottom and layer the zucchini on top to cover. Pour a thin layer of Alfredo sauce over top of zucchini. Then sprinkle with a thin layer of mozzarella. Repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up (ending with the mozzarella).
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Let lasagna sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and strained*
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1 cup water, plus more if needed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- In a blender, add soaked/strained cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, water, onion powder (if using), and salt. Blend until creamy and smooth.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.