California Sushi Bowls
California rolls are one of the most beloved types of sushi rolls here in the States. If they’re one of your favorites, you’ll love these California Sushi Bowls. These deconstructed California rolls are perfect for people who can’t (or don’t have time) to roll their own sushi but would like to enjoy the taste of California rolls from the comfort of home.
For the soy sauce part of these, I used San-J’s tamari sauce, which is naturally gluten-free. You always want to check soy sauce labels because a lot of them contain wheat, especially those that are used in restaurants. I used San-J’s 25% less sodium tamari because I used seasoned rice vinegar (which contains salt) and nori sheets, so I wanted to make sure that the dish had a good level of sodium and wasn’t overly salty.
These bowls are healthy, delicious, and so much easier to make than sushi. I love these for a quick lunch. I’ll do the prep the day before and keep the ingredients separate in the fridge, then just build myself a bowl for lunch the next day. Delicious!
Get more gluten-free Asian-inspired recipes.
Gluten-Free California Sushi Bowls
- 1½ cup sushi rice
- 1¾ cups water
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup San-J Organic 25% Less Sodium Tamari
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 12 ounces gluten-free intimation crab , torn or chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 English cucumber , diced
- 2 avocados , sliced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves or micro greens
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 2 nori sheets
- Pickled ginger
- Place the sushi rice in a strainer and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. Place in a sauce pan with water and bring to a gentle boil over high heat. Stir, cover the pan, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 16-18 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat and let sit with the lid on for 10-15 minutes. Scrape into a bowl, top with ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar, and gently mix with a fork.
- Combine the tamari with 1 tablespoon rice vinegar.
- Combine the mayonnaise and sriracha. Put in a squeeze bottle or a sandwich bag (snip off one tip before drizzling).
- Divide the rice between four bowls. In sections, place the imitation crab, cucumber, avocado slices, carrots, and cilantro. Combine the sesame seeds and sprinkle over the top. Crumble the nori sheets and place in the bowl. Top everything with sesame seeds and drizzle the spicy mayonnaise over the top. Add some pickled ginger and drizzle with some tamari sauce. Serve the remaining tamari sauce on the side.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.