Aguachile is a Mexican form of ceviche made with shrimp and marinated for less time than ceviche. It is quick, especially using the canned chilies, and is cold and refreshing. Perfect for summer!
If you are not certain of how fresh the shrimp you can buy is, it is better to buy frozen, as it is frozen right after being caught. Thaw in the refrigerator before making the aguachile.
I used the hot variety of Hatch Diced Green Chiles and found it was perfect, not too hot. If you want less heat, use mild. If you want more heat, add a serrano chili when blending the rest of the ingredients or slice a jalapeño and add with the onion, avocado, and cilantro.
This is a delicious way to eat shrimp this summer!
Get more gluten-free shrimp recipes.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1½ cups fresh cilantro leaves , divided
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tomatillos , cut into chunks
- 1 (4-ounce) can Hatch Diced Green Chiles, hot or mild, undrained
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt , or to taste
- 1½ pounds raw shrimp , peeled, deveined, and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 avocado , diced
- ½ red onion , diced
- Corn tortilla chips , for serving
- In a blender, combine 1 cup cilantro, lime juice, tomatillos, chiles, and 1 teaspoon salt. Puree until smooth.
- Place the shrimp in a glass bowl, pour the sauce over, stir, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the avocado, red onion, and remaining cilantro. Taste on a tortilla chip and add more salt, if needed. Serve with tortilla chips.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 151 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Vitamin A 570IU11%
Vitamin C 19mg23%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.