Need a nice, warm dish on a chilly fall day? Look no further than this classic comfort food dish – Lentil-Stuffed Cabbage. This is a Polish recipe that my late husband’s family used to make, and it brings back memories and nothing but smiles when I eat it. This is a vegetarian dish that uses lentils and cauliflower rice for the stuffing.
These cabbage rolls are covered in a delicious marinara sauce. I used Pastene’s Chateau Marinara Sauce, which is perfectly seasoned. A little garlic and marjoram or thyme boosts the flavor just a little more, making for a fantastic dish with a depth of flavor you’ll adore.
Serve this recipe with a couple of sides like roasted asparagus or sauteed mushrooms and a glass of chilled white wine to finish warming you up!
Get more gluten-free vegetarian recipes.
Gluten-Free Lentil-Stuffed Cabbage
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the core out of the cabbage and place the head of cabbage into the boiling water. Boil for about 7 minutes or until the leaves are tender. Remove from the water and let cool.
- Rinse lentils and pick over, discarding any bad lentils. Place in a saucepan and cover with 3 cups water. Add the bay leaf, bring to a boil, cover the pot, and simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain, remove bay leaf, and set aside.
- Cook the cauliflower rice according to the package directions. Put in a mixing bowl along with the lentils.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add to the lentil mixture. Add the marjoram and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Separate the cabbage leaves, cutting out any tough, thick ribs. Spoon some filling into each leaf and roll tightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour half of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9 by 12 inch baking pan. Add the cabbage rolls. Top with remaining sauce. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.