Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1 cup dry brown basmati rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes well drained (reserve liquid)
- Enough vegetable broth to equal 2 cups see instructions
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 (15-ounce) can pigeon peas or other beans
- 2½ tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or ¼ teaspoon Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 2-quart (8-cup) covered casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, coconut sugar, vinegar, and ginger. Sauté until the onion begins to soften and the sugar begins to caramelize, 7-10 minutes. Add the rice, stir to coat it, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the reserved tomato liquid into a glass measuring cup and add enough broth to equal a total of 2 cups liquid. Add this liquid, the drained tomatoes, and the sweet potato to the pan along with the drained peas. Stir in the soy sauce, sriracha, and cloves. Seasons to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the casserole dish, cover, and bake for about an hour, removing the casserole to stir the contents after about 30 minutes. Continue to bake until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice and sweet potato are both soft. May be frozen.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 289 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 3325IU67%
Vitamin C 9.2mg11%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.