Gluten Free Korean Tacos
I’ve been obsessed with the idea of Gluten Free Korean Tacos ever since I was stuck at LAX waiting for a delayed plane last March. Right inside the terminal was a Korean taco truck. Yep, INSIDE the terminal. The smells coming from that truck were amazing! And I am assuming the food was great due to the long lines of people waiting to order.
Alas, there was nothing on the menu that was gluten free. So I grabbed a salad from another spot and sat there watching all those people happily enjoy their Korean tacos – a true Los Angeles fusion of Mexican and Korean street food.
All I can say is I cannot believe it took me so long to decide to come up with my own version of these tacos. AMAZING! (As I write this I will confess to you that I have eaten no less than SIX already!)
The meat is juicy with a slightly sweet undertone from organic brown sugar and when topped with the tangy, sour quick-pickled cabbage slaw and maybe a dash of Sriracha – pure heaven!
Gluten Free Korean Tacos Recipe
- 1½ pounds skirt steak
- 2/3 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons Mirin or Sake
- 6 tablespoons Wholsome! Organic Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 green onions finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 12 corn tortillas
- 12 lettuce leaves
- Quick Pickled Cabbage Slaw recipe below
- Place the steak in a large food storage bag. Combine the soy sauce, Mirin, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, green onions, and ginger in a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Pour the marinade over the meat and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. (If making ahead, you can marinate it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.)
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Pat the steak dry with paper towels and grill 2 minutes per side. Let rest a few minutes then slice thinly.
- Grill the tortillas 30-60 seconds per side. Keep warm.
- To serve, place a lettuce leaf on top of a tortilla, top with some sliced meat and some quick pickled cabbage slaw.
Quick Pickled Cabbage Slaw
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup grated daikon radish
- Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and honey in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the cabbage, carrots, and daikon. Stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.