Gluten Free Savory Breakfast Fritters
When I want to eat breakfast, I usually want to really eat. Sure, a bowl of yogurt with some granola is fine some days but not on those days when I want something heartier, something that will stick to my ribs – but not my hips.
These gluten free savory breakfast fritters are just the thing – so tasty. Almost like really flavorful hash browns topped with poached eggs, but without all those starchy potatoes.
For hearty appetites, plan on 2 fritters per person topped with a poached egg. For those lightweights out there, you could get away with one fritter and one egg.
This is a hearty and healthy way to start the day.
Recipe Notes: Make sure to use cage free eggs (I like Nature’s Yoke). You can blitz the cauliflower in the food processor, but chopping with a knife is just fine. I actually prefer the texture of hand-chopped. Squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the zucchini before adding it to the cauliflower. And be patient when cooking the fritters, if you try to flip them too soon they may fall apart.
Gluten Free Savory Breakfast Fritters Recipe
- ½ head cauliflower finely chopped (4 cups chopped cauliflower)
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 small white or yellow onion
- ¾ cup hard goat cheese grated (or grated Parmesan cheese)
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 large cage free egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher or fine sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- 4 poached eggs for serving
- Sriracha sauce for serving – optional
- Place the chopped cauliflower in a large mixing bowl. Using the large holes on a box grater, grate the zucchini. Place in a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Add to the cauliflower. Grate the onion into the bowl. Add the goat cheese, almond flour, egg, chives, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ½ cup of the mixture to the pan per fritter and flatten into patties. Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Flip and continue to cook until browned on the other side and the fritters feel firm to the touch. You will need to fry the fritters in batches. Add more oil to the pan in between batches, if needed.
- Serve topped with poached eggs and sriracha, if desired
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.
Pingback: Gluten Free Savory Breakfast Fritters | Healthy Foods
Yum, this is going on our menu soon!