Everyone needs a few bites before the holiday feast begins. With wholesome ingredients and fresh herbs, this simple recipe for an appetizers will truly shine.
Gluten Free Fishcakes
- 1 7-ounce salmon fillet skin and bones removed
- 1 7-ounce cod fillet skin and bones removed
- 6 tablespoons ground red lentils divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for frying
- Juice and zest of ½ medium lemon
- Kosher or fine sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves finely chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 small handful fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons polenta
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- Mayonnaise for serving
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Place the salmon and cod fillets, 2 tablespoons ground red lentils, the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt, and pepper into a food processor. Pulse until completely smooth. Add the chopped parsley and coriander leaves and stir well with a spoon. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 10 patties, about ¼-inch thick.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 4 tablespoons ground red lentils with the polenta.
- Dip each patty first into the beaten egg, letting any excess drip off, then cover them in the lentil/polenta crumbs.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the patties and cook for about 4 minutes per side, until crisp and golden.
- Serve hot with extra parsley sprinkled over top, a side of mayonnaise, and lemon wedges for squeezing.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.