Gluten-Free Make-Ahead Tuscan Chicken Bake Recipe
This is a favorite to throw together because it really is so simple and it’s always a winner with the family. The pasta, chicken and vegetables all bake together in the pan, and it makes for a simple freezer meal that can be baked from frozen.
Make-Ahead Tuscan Chicken Bake
- 4 ounces gluten-free uncooked rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 cup milk or water, if dairy-free
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes oil drained and chopped
- 4 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups Tuscan kale shredded (or spinach, chopped)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Italian blend or mozzarella work well; or dairy-free)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9x9-inch baking pan. In the pan, combine pasta, flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, red pepper flakes, broth, milk, and sun-dried tomatoes. Gently stir until no flour clumps remain. Scatter mushrooms and chicken breast over mixture and season with remaining salt and pepper. Cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Gently stir mixture and return to oven, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
To eat immediately:
- Stir in kale (or spinach) and shredded cheese, and return to oven for 5 more minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
To prepare and freeze:
- Cook as directed, then stir in the kale and cheese and allow mixture to cool completely before covering tightly with foil. Freeze up to 2-3 months.
To reheat from frozen:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook, covered with foil, for 30 minutes. Add ½ cup broth or water and stir. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until warm throughout. Uncover, stir again, and cook for 5 more minutes (you can top with additional cheese at this point).
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.