Crispy Potatoes & Queso
Want to know one of the best ways to cook potatoes? Boil, smash, and bake. I know that sounds like all the methods, but you do them in combination with each other to create potatoes that are fluffy and creamy on the inside and crispy and golden on the outside. To get to this state of pure bliss, it’s honestly very simple. This recipe for Crispy Potatoes & Queso uses this method and I promise you … once you try it, you won’t ever just want to roast potatoes again.
Start with baby gold potatoes, then boil them until fork tender. Next, you smash the slightly cooled and dry potatoes with the bottom of a glass (press down on them to squish them but don’t smash them to the point where they fall apart). Next, you brush them with olive oil and season them on a baking sheet and roast them until the skins are crispy.
Now, to take it a step further, serve your potatoes with a dipping sauce. Personally, I think potatoes and cheese go together like butter and popcorn, so I like to use a queso sauce for dipping. But I use a plant-based queso to get some added veggies and cut out the dairy. The queso I use is from Loca Foods and get this – it’s potato-based queso! How perfect is that?
These make for fun and delicious appetizers for the holiday season!
Get more gluten-free appetizer recipes.
Dairy-Free Crispy Potatoes & Queso
- 1½ pounds baby gold potatoes
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (12-ounce) jar Loca Foods Potato Queso
- Place potatoes in a pan and fill with cold water. Add 1½ teaspoons salt, bring to a boil, lower temperature, and simmer for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and let cool just until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Brush with olive oil.
- Place the potatoes on the prepared pan, flatten with the bottom of a glass or measuring cup. Brush the potatoes with more oil.
- Combine ½ teaspoon salt with the pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Sprinkle on the potatoes. Bake for 35 minutes or until crispy.
- Warm the queso and serve with the crispy potatoes.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.