Gluten Free Mexican Dinner Party Menu Part 1 – Gluten-Free Dairy, Free Mexican Pumpkin Soup Recipe
One of the great joys of cooking comes from the sharing. I love to cook for people. I love everything about it. The planning, the shopping, the preparation and of course the eating together. OK, not really crazy about doing dishes but that’s even more of a reason to cook – someone else may feel obligated to wash up!
Gluten free folks who feed themselves quite well sometimes feel challenged when it comes to having people over for dinner who may not be gluten free. I know that for years I would prepare glutenized food for guests who ate in my home.
I don’t really know why. Did I think that the food I ate was not good enough for them? Did I think that they would somehow be short changed because of the lack of gluten? Whatever the reason, I made a decision some time ago that I would no longer compromise my way of eating. Not only does cooking food with gluten in a gluten free kitchen risk cross contamination, but the idea that others would miss the gluten somehow invalidated my way of life.
I have decided to create completely gluten-free meals that are company worthy and share them in this blog. I will do individual posts for each recipe.
Anyone who reads my blog probably has realized that I love Mexican food so my first attempt is a healthy, gluten-free Mexican dinner; complete from soup to dessert.
This is a full dinner for 6 people. Obviously any recipe can stand alone but this did make a truly great meal!
The Mexican Pumpkin soup recipe for this meal is not only gluten-free but dairy free as well. It is creamy and delicious and makes for a great Fall lunch. Vegetarians can use vegetable stock instead of chicken and if you are not a fan of heat, leave out the red pepper flakes.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Mexican Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 can mild green chilies – rinsed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes - optional
- 1 (15 ounce) can pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mixture)
- 2 cups gluten free chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- In a dry skillet over medium high heat toast pumpkin seeds for about 3 minutes until browned and you can smell the oils being released. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent - about 5 minutes. Add garlic and chopped chilies. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add brown sugar, cumin, salt, pepper and red chili flakes. Sauté for another minute and then add the pumpkin, chicken or vegetable stock and coconut milk. Stir well. Reduce heat and cook until heated through (about 5 – 10 minutes).
- Process soup in blender in batches until smooth. Make sure you remove the center piece from the blender lid so that the soup does not explode in the blender.
- Garnish soup with reserved pumpkin seeds.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.