Leek & Artichoke Spaghetti Squash Kugel
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400oF. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place the halves, cut side up, in a large baking dish and add about 1 inch of water to the pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until fork-tender. Cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375oF. Spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the leeks and sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned. Add the artichokes, season with salt and pepper, and cook for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Using a fork, scoop the stringy flesh out of the squash shells. Measure out 4 cups of cooked spaghetti squash into a large bowl. Add the cooked leeks and artichokes to the bowl with the squash.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and egg yolks in a small bowl. Beat the egg yolks with the dill an d nutmeg, and add to the bowl with the vegetables. Mix well.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the vegetable mixture. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the kugel is lightly browned on top. Cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Makes 9 pieces
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.