Coddle is an Irish dish that usually consists of sausage, bacon, potatoes, and herbs. It’s often made to use up leftovers or can be made with fresh ingredients. This gluten-free Dublin Coddle recipe is perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day feast.
- 12 ounces thick-cut bacon , sliced into 1-inch strips
- 2 pounds pork sausages
- 2 medium yellow onions , sliced
- 1 cup gluten-free hard apple cider
- 10 sprigs thyme
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley , roughly chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 pounds yellow potatoes , peeled and cut into large chunks
- ½ pound carrots , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1½ cups gluten-free beef stock
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook the bacon until it is crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings in the pot.
- Return the pot to medium heat. Working in batches, add the sausages. Brown the sausages on all sides, then transfer them to a plate.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook until they are slightly tender, about 3-4 minutes. Pour in the cider to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom of the pot with a spoon.
- Cut the sausages into 2-inch pieces and layer them on top of the onions. Scatter in the bacon, thyme, parsley, and bay leaves. Layer the potatoes and carrots on top of the sausages and herbs. Pour in the beef stock and season with black pepper.
- Bring the pot to a gentle simmer, then tightly cover it and transfer to the oven. Cook for 2-2½ hours, until the potatoes are extremely tender. Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves before serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 797 Calories from Fat 486
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 18g90%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 24g
Vitamin A 5844IU117%
Vitamin C 50mg61%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.